Monday, February 8, 2016

Study and Experiment.... No Secret Recipe!

Familia! 

Que tal? I am freaking out because this keyboard I am using in a different internet cafe is American and I am so used to using the other type that it took me a second to figure out what was wrong with my hands and why they weren't working! This week has been really good- Tomorrow are cambios (transfers) but they changed the way that missionaries have cambios for the whole world entonces (so) we received a phone call last night informing us that we do not have cambios. (Instead of the usual reunion de cambios where everyone meets up and it's called out by Presidente) but... MY FIRST TIME HAVING A COMPANION FOR MORE THAN 6 WEEKS WHOO HOO!  I am sad to see so many good friends leave the zone (and finish the mission- Elder Naranjo to Colombia, Elder Sepulveda to Argentina, and Elder Martinez to Honduras) but I am sure grateful for the good friends and memories that I have made, and for the chance to keep working with Hermana Magne. 

This week I tried "baked milk"which is like a rip off of creme brulee but reminded me of torching sugar siempre (always) at home! We were able to go to a chacra (small farm) for Pday and teach all of the Latinos some fun American games- aka football, ultimate Frisbee, and kickball! It was really fun and we ate pachamanca de la tierra (roasted Pork cooked in the ground) that was super good. We are working with several new people, it seems like all the good people we have found live in other areas but we are passing along lots of references :) This week I have been reading "Our Search for Happiness" and the biggest thing that stood out to me is the importance of our personal agency. It is so important that we have the choice to act for ourselves, to truly be tested to be able to learn and grow. I have thought a lot about WHY it was so necessary that we passed through the veil to forget our premortal life, or WHY we can't always see plain evidence for things forcing us to walk by faith, and not by sight. I guess I came to realize that it is impossible for us to truly learn without being in the dark for a bit. If I am taking a test in one of my classes but have a cheat sheet of all the answers, I will never know these things for myself, but rely solely on this cheap form of information. It is the same with us. We too have to study and experiment things for ourselves. We have to go to class, do our homework, and be agents!! God has made it so we must walk by faith, but has given us so many tools so that we can be successful- the Holy Ghost, the scriptures, a living prophet, and various other means. All of these things are available to us and we just need to put them to use, and work. There is a quote in Predicad mi Evangelio (Preach my Gospel) that says- trabajo trabajo trabajo, no existe ningun substitu satisfactorio, especialmente en la obra misional (Work, work, work, there doesn't exist a satisfactory substitute, especially in the Mission field). There is no way we can truly be happy and truly enjoy all of the blessings and benefits of this life without working. There is no secret recipe for success if we are not willing to do our part. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is not passive, but progressive. I hope that we can all be diligent in our day to day activities, especially in those of the Lord. Thanks for the words of support SIEMPRE (ALWAYS) and don't get in too much trouble!

Love always,

Hermana Roca

With Hma Magne, Elders Kimball and Martinez

Chacra

Pobre Reloj!

Crazy Hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment