Monday, June 6, 2016

Simplest of Service

Familia!

The crash looks so bad! I'm just glad no one was hurt. Hopefully you're all doing well and putting up with the heat. Wasn't it just a month ago you were complaining about the cold? ;) It's cooling down here a lot- I love it because now we are pulling out our sweaters and scarves and it's nice to wear something different for the first time in six months! 

This week was really good. We were able to have a lot of special trainings by Presidente and also some of the assistants. This week we are going to be visited by Elder Rasband!! I am being very spiritually fed! Also foodly-fed- unfortunately something hit me wrong and I've been sick all week. It's not so bad until you're in the house of someone who doesn't have toilet paper or water... We are working a lot with the family of Luisa (photo included) She will be baptized with her two daughters the 25th (if all goes well!) She is an incredible woman, who was widowed 11 years ago. I have never felt the Spirit so strongly teaching the Plan of Salvation. There's not a lot of new news from me this week but I did want to share a little bit about a talk I was listening to titled "His Grace is Sufficient" by Brad Wilcox. One of my favorite lines from his talk said "We know not only what (the Savior) has saved us FROM, but also what He has saved us FOR." We as members of the church, so blessed to have additional scripture available and modern revelation to help us understand gospel truths (such as the plan of Salvation!), we understand not only that we can be saved from death and sin, but also what we can BECOME and BE now. We have been promised a fullness of joy if we but do His will and serve others. Sometimes we don't know how to serve or maybe feel like there's so much to do, that whatever we CAN do doesn't really make a difference. Maybe we feel unappreciated for the service that we have done. In my study this week about service I read again a story in the book of Mark (capitulo 14) that reads: 
¶And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head.
 4 And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this waste of the ointment made?
 5 For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her.
 6 And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me.
 7 For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.
 8 She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.
 9 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her."

I know that the simplest of services will be greatly appreciated by our Lord and Savior. Although this woman's name is not mentioned, her service is remembered by people everywhere. As Brad Wilcox said "The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us." I know that as we look for ways to serve others, especially by sharing the Gospel, we will be successful. And we will be happy. Go and serve someone! (yes, making cinnamon rolls for the elders quorum counts!) 

Love,

Hermana Stone




This is the familia Rodas that I am teaching. They are so good and Eduardo (the dad) says that he still doesn't know if this church is the one he should join. Please pray for them!! We also need to marry them to be able to baptize them...



Don't worry, I got the recipe.



With Luisa

No comments:

Post a Comment